Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Rainy Days

JON PON RIDE CONTINUED


So my Sweep Duties started in Petaluma, and I had to wait until the last rider came in and had lunch, by the time we got on the road, most of the heavy downpour had tapered off to a drizzle.

Marjorie, is a first time rider, 63 years old, and had not been on a bike for some time. She was a moderate cadence rider, and she used her front set of sprockets rather well. (When I sweep, I like to look at how people use their gears, and point out any helpful hints if I can to make them a faster rider). But she was not using the the complete portion of her back sprockets , so when we got to a place where we could stop, I pointed that out to her.

I told her that at this point is was better to use more of the middle ring on her front and to use more of the complete ring in the back. I had her try it out, and she said that it was much easier than before, I also pointed out that we were now going faster. She also felt more comfortable to try using more of the entire range of gears.

This is exactly what I like about Training rides, helping someone to get better and make it easier at what they have committed to do.

No comments: