Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Jonathon Pon Ride - Part 2

We arrive at Camp, and we start to setup our tents. What is different from the RIDE and this ride is that on the RIDE, the tents are provided by the RIDE.

So on the RIDE you see a sea of tents all exactly the same size and color. This camp we provided our own tents. I brought our tent, which is a well… it is, a very large tent, you can stand up on the middle and it has two separate bedrooms, including privacy curtains.

Well everyone thought it was very humorous, so they started calling my tent City Hall, and asking if they could have tours.

They also gave it a nickname of Taj M’Tent. Later on, when we were told that we did not have the secured place for bikes, and that they would have to put our bikes by our tents, I just rolled our bikes into my tent, and then zipped up the privacy screen. (My friend Peter stayed in the tent with me)

Then it was time for dinner, we had Chicken marinated in artichoke hearts and cut–up baked potatoes, with some kind of pasta salad and a regular salad as well, I got drafted to help serve so that the line would go faster. Actually that was kind of fun, it allowed me to flirt with the men that I had been too shy to flirt with earlier.

After dinner, we had entertainment down by the campfire. It was provide by my friend Mark, who was going to ride, but his brand new bike broke (while riding it) and he broke his ribs, anyway he told the story while singing. He also played the accordion and banjo

Then it was off to bed, after riding 75 miles on a bike, you tend to be tired, and the next morning we were going to get up and go back.

The next morning, well my mornings always start with having to pee, so I lie in my sleeping bag until, I just have to get up, I throw some clothes on and then walk to the restroom, then it is back to bed to try to get back to sleep until it is time to really get up.

In camp I lie in bed until I think that I better get up or I will be the last one tearing their tent down, in reality, I’m about in the middle. Because the tent is so big, we have the luxury of being able to pack our bags in the dryness of the tent, with out getting in each other’s way.

The tent came down easily, and since our bikes were in the tent, our bikes did not have any early morning dew on them. After a brief breakfast, oatmeal and warm Croissants (I had three) no eggs, sometimes I just can’t stand eggs.

Then it was time for another safety speech, a review of the route, and on the road.

More later

No comments: