Friday, July 11, 2008

The Upside of Anger?

I was watching a movie last night on TV while I was reading a book. I do that sometimes, and it drives Cowboy and my sister nuts, but I like to do that if I’m not that interested in the movie or that interested in the book.

The book if you want to know, well the chapter I was reading was about how the Electoral College works, so though it is fascinating, I was not that interested in it.

The movie though, was about this woman, who is anger and bitter, mainly because she thinks her husband left her without warning or notice. Her anger and bitterness colors all of her relationships with any new men in her family, as well as her relationships with her daughters, and their relationships with men as well.

At the very end of the movie she discovers during the process of selling off some unused property that in fact, her husband did not leave her, but rather died when he fell down an old water shaft on that unused property.

She realizes that she has allowed her anger and bitterness of being abandoned, to color her entire life and that she was not abandoned at all, she was wrong. ((The movies does not address the guilt she might felt about her husband dying all alone))

One time I had a boyfriend, that I was warned that when he decided to breakup with someone, he just stopped calling, didn’t return phone calls, etc ((well two times that happened)). Because I was warned, I was able to just let go. Sure I was curious, but I knew that I was not going to get any answers from him.

I think sometimes, we as people can make assumptions about why something is, we can really work ourselves up wanting closure. Sometimes we want to force an answer out of whomever, does that serves us? I don’t know.

How many times have you been told it not you it’s me? And do you go away feeling like you were told the truth? Or someone was just being polite?

Do we make assumptions based on what we think is the truth? Do we allow our anger or bitterness to color our whole relationship with the people around us?

No comments: